On Tuesday, the Federal government registered a new rivalry trade union for workers in the university.
Many believed that the new rivalry union is to shrink and weaken the influence of the academic staff union of universities (ASUU) and to forcefully reopen tertiary institutions.
The newly eterblished union is ‘Congress of Nigerian university Academic’ (CONUA).
The minister of labour and productivity, Chris Ngige when presenting the certificate to the union said the body will exist along side Asuu.
Recall that Asuu embarked on strike on February 14 to get the Federal government to improve funding for universities and review salaries for lecturers among other pressing issues.
Key things to note about CONUA
- The union as been seeking for approval since 2018.
- CONUA means Congress of Nigerian university Academics.
- The union is led by Dr Niyi Sunmunu, a lecturer at the Obafemi Awolo University (OAU) from the department of physics and engineering physics in ille Ife.
- About 750 lecturers of Obafemi Awolo University created it.
- The union does not believe in strike.
- CONUA has branches in over 17 universities across the nation.
- It’s rival is ASUU.