Good morning! Below are today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. The wife of Kazeem Ali, a chieftain of the Nigeria Union of Road Transport Workers, kidnapped in Apomu, Osun State, has said her husband’s abductors are no longer reaching out to his family. Speaking with newsmen on phone, on Wednesday, wife of the victim, Jemila Ali, said the phone number used to contact the family could no longer be reached.
2. Gunmen on Wednesday killed a yet-to-be-identified policeman attached to a new generation bank around Cassette bus stop, Coker Aguda, in the Surulere area of Lagos State. The incident, which happened in the afternoon, forced businesses in the area to close early to ensure the safety of lives and property.
3. The Inspector-General of Police (I-G), Mr Usman Baba has ordered the deployment of new Commissioners of Police (CPs) for Kano, Zamfara and Enugu States. The Force Public Relations Officer (FPRO), CSP Olumuyiwa Adejobi said this in a statement on Wednesday in Abuja.
4. The federal government will implement a policy aimed at replacing medical personnel migrating to foreign countries for greener pastures, the Minister of Health, Osagie Ehanire said. The development came as the government claimed the country has no shortage of medical personnel.
5. Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has fired back at former Governor of Jigawa State, Alhaji Sule Lamido, over a fierce criticism from the latter. Speaking through his Special Assistant on Media, Kevin Ebiri, Wike yesterday said Lamido has lost political relevance.
6. The Federal Government, yesterday, launched Nigeria’s Energy Transition Plan to tackle the challenges of energy poverty, climate change and employment. Speaking at a virtual global meeting, Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo, said among other things, the plan would lift 100 million people out of poverty, reduce Nigeria’s carbon footprint, drive economic growth and create jobs.
7. Allies of the Rivers State Governor, Nyesome Wike, shunned a meeting between the Peoples Democratic Party National Working Committee (NWC) and the 36 States gubernatorial candidates in Abuja, yesterday.
8. Alhaji Ibrahim Masari, a close associate of Tinubu and placeholder before the choice of Senator Kashim Shettima as Vice Presidential candidate of the APC, yesterday, confirmed talks between the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Senator Bola Tinubu, and Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State, saying the latter has agreed to work for the success of the former in 2023.
9. There are increasing fears in the Peoples Democratic Party that the crisis between its presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, and the Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike, may affect its chances in the 2023 presidential elections. Some party leaders, who spoke yesterday expressed concern about the growing relationship between Wike and influential members of the All Progressives Congress, describing the development as worrisome.
10. The Economic and Financial Crime Commission, EFCC, on Wednesday arraigned a manager with Cubana Group, Lucky Uchechukwu Ndukwe, for an offence bordering on money laundering. Ndukwe, known better as Cubana Prime Minister, was arraigned alongside one Precious Omonkhoa Ofure before Justice Justice O.A. Fadipe of the Special Offences Court sitting in Ikeja, Lagos State, by the Lagos Zonal Command of the EFCC.
CULLED FROM DAILY