THE PRESS STATEMENT OF THE NIGERIA LABOUR CONGRESS (KADUNA STATE COUNCIL) BY THE CHAIRPERSON COM. AYUBA MAGAJI SULEIMAN ON 16TH MAY 2021.
1 Earlier, we were misled by the commended Kaduna State Government for being the first State to implement thirty thousand Naira (N30, 000) minimum wage to both Civil Servants and retirees. However, we noted with dismay that the government reverted to an old minimum wage of Eighteen thousand Naira (N18, 000) in April 2021 Salary in the Local government council, about twenty thousand (20, 000) State civil servants received half Salary which is even less than the former Eighteen thousand naira (N18, 000) minimum wage.
- Health workers were denied almost all their allowances such as hazard, call duty, shifting, rural posting, etc.
- It’s disheartening to say that Kaduna State Government based on their claim that it had paid up to 14 Billion Naira as arrears of death benefit and gratuity from 2017 but the fact is that the same government disengaged over thirty-five thousand (35, 000), civil servants, in 2017 and up to date over 80 percent have not received their retirement benefits.
- It’s sad for Kaduna State Government to claim its commitment to training workers while those that are qualified for promotion remain to stagnate for years.
- On claims by the government supporting civil servants to pay for houses through mortgages on a single digits interest, this claim is false. The reality of this was that these mortgages were gotten by the joint effort of NLC and TUC.
- The State Government in its Ignorance failed to realize the obvious fact that payments of salaries have multiplying effects on the social- welfare and economy. In other words, when salaries are paid it reflects down the line.
- The unfortunate downsizing of the workforce in Kaduna State was not done by the statutory Labour law, with a keen examination of its activities from 2017 till date, over fifty thousand workers were affected.
- It’s in the public domain that over Twenty thousand Teachers were sacked, five (5) thousand Local Government workers were equally disengaged in 2017, while another Twelve (12) thousand State civil servants were also unfairly disengaged and the recent sacking of over seven thousand workers of local government in April 2021 these lay credence to the figure given by the NLC.
- The claim by the State Government to promote the right of the Children of the poor to decent education, is contradictory to the recent increase in tuition fees in the State-owned institutions to the tune of more than Three Hundred percent (300%) increase.
- The warrant of arrest on the National President of NLC Comrade Ayuba Waba as claimed by the Kaduna State Government is unwarranted intimidation on the Labour movement. This is considered a violation of human rights activists. The National President’s involvement in this action is intended to protect the interest of Kaduna State workers.
- The claim by Kaduna State Government that NLC recruited hoodlums to cause mayhem during the strike is untrue because it is not in the character of Labour to indulge in such an uncivilized manner as against the nature of politicians.
- All the affiliates of the Nigeria Labour Congress are fully committed to participating in the strike action without compulsion.
We calling the attention of the general public to the planned mobilization of thugs by the State Government to discredit our peaceful protest of tomorrow. Hence, we advocate that the people of Kaduna State should be vigilant and stand against this plan.
On this note, we improve the general public to remain calm and peaceful throughout the 5 days warning strike period which we are assuring the Kaduna State workers and the general public of our commitment to maintaining peaceful strike action for the interest of workers in the State and the general public.