World Water Day is held on 22 March every year, it focuses on the importance of fresh water and this year makes it 31 years since it creation.
2023 THEME: ACCELERATING CHANGE!
Overall, the topic emphasises the significance of taking proactive efforts to address the water stress concerns that mankind is currently facing, and doing so at a rapid pace.
Below is presentation by NIFEMI ONIBIYO which explains what this day all about, its objective, significant and History.
World Water Day Quotes
1. Never refuse to give your enemy water. (African proverb)
2. We never know the worth of water till the well is dry.-Thomas Fuller
3. A river seems a magic thing. A magic, moving, living part of the very earth itself. – Laura Gilpin.
4. We must begin thinking like a river if we are to leave a legacy of beauty and life for future generations.- David R. Brower
DID YOU KNOW?
- Globally, 44 per cent of household wastewater is not safely treated. (UN-Water 2021)
- Global water demand (in water withdrawals) is projected to increase by 55 per cent by 2050. (OECD 2012)
- Today, 1 in 4 people – 2 billion people worldwide – lack safe drinking water. (WHO/UNICEF 2021)
Hence the importance of this day!
Undoubtedly, 2023 is a particular year for commitments regarding the use of water and its sanitation.
The celebration of this World Water Day coincides with the start of the UN 2023 Water Conference (March 22-24, New York).
The conference is a once-in-a-generation opportunity to unite the world around solving the water and sanitation crisis.
National governments and stakeholders from all levels of society will collaborate to make voluntary commitments to accelerating progress on SDG 6 and other internationally-agreed water-related goals and targets.
With all said this is a call for you and me to be the Change and use water moderately!