As predicted by many political pundits, that the futile purported harmonization exercises being foisted on some LGA Executives by the embattled governor of Edo State, Mr. Godwin Obaseki has been dismantled by the resolution of the PDP stakeholders/National Working Committee meeting held in Abuja which was preceded over the new National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Pary, PDP, Dr. Iyorcha Ayu.
Truthlive.net can recall that the Edo State chapter of the PDP has been embroiled in a protracted war due to the governor’s failed attempt to temper with the PDP exco across the state that he met before he joined the party.
The governor had insisted that unless his loyalists who followed him to the PDP from the All Progressive Congress, APC, were given positions in the state and local governments’ party excos which were yet to serve out their mandates as duly elected party officers.
All illegal effronteries to change the excos which he termed “harmonization” were met with legal brick walls as the National Vice Chairman,South-South PDP, Chief Dan Orbih has continue to insist that the illegality must not be allowed in a party that strongly hold sacredly,the rule of law and the sanctity of constitutional democracy.
Chief Orbih had said on several occasions that the governor must respect the Constitution of the Party and that nobody is charged with the authority to tamper with the elected excos which were further ratified by the National Convention; the highest decision-making body of the Party.
In spite of these efforts of Orbih, as well as the intervention of some PDP governors to allow rule of law take preeminience, governor Obaseki remains adamant and recalcitrant, refusing to appoint commissioners in some LGA were he was resisted and using some of his aides to harrass, intimidate some LGA officers and going into the wild anti-party chase of constituting illegal excos across the state even when the then Publicity Secretary of the then Party, Mr. Kola Ologbodiyan, in a statement issued on behalf of the party, said all those illegalities should stop because they were futile journeys into nullity, and the case is sub judice, that is before a court of competent jurisdiction.
Highlights of the the decision of the NWC in its meeting which has rubbished whatever governor Obaseki and his gang of troublemakers harmonising across Edo State;
* All Elected Party Executives in Ekiti State PDP on all levels as concluded during the Party Congresses and rectified at the just concluded National Convention must remain as such in avoidance of breach in the Party’s Constitution.
Harmonization is not recognized in the PDP Constitution.
* Sharing of positions along with some groups/factions as proposed is unreasonable and unconstitutional. (must be out of the report).
* All party faithful in Ekiti State must respect the aspiration of all that scaled through screening, however, some, including male and female, could be persuaded to drop such ambition based on some indices.
* The issue of forcefully reducing aspirants to 3 ( one per senatorial district) is not reasonable, as that will promote favoritism and unfairness to the aspirants, their supporters and may cause more problems for the party in the end.
* Only the National Working Committee is empowered to nominate and appoint those to come to conduct the 3 ad hoc delegates or other activities. The NWC will send a thoroughly trained and fair team to conduct all activities in Ekiti State.
* All members of our party in Ekiti State must close rank to achieve the desired winning.
* Issue of agitation for consideration of a candidate to emerge from the South Senatorial District was raised.
With the above-highlighted resolution reached by the NWC on the Ekiti crisis which of course has its resemblance with Edo, it is clear that the PDP under the able leadership of Dr. Iyorcha Ayu has come to instill due process fair play, and constitutionality in the party thus setting it fully prepared to wrestle power with the ruling but fragmented All Progressive Congress, APC, during the 2023 general elections.
Culled from Truth Live