Gastro Enteritis: Death toll now 2 …as govt closes down Sokoto school

By Ado Hassan, Sokoto

Another student of Government Girls Science School, Sokoto in isolation centre from Bodinga local government has been confirmed dead following the outbreak of Gastro Enteritis that also led to the closure of the school located at Mabera Area in Sokoto south local government.

This, brings the total death to two as a result of the disease that hit the school on Wednesday.

The first death recorded, involved a student of the school from Rabah local government.

The state government has directed the closure of the school yesterday.

The deceased student whose death was reported Friday, was among the thirty moved to isolation centre following the outbreak of the disease two days ago.

Dr Kulu Haruna Abubakar , Commissioner, Ministry of Science and Technology , who confirmed the development as she announced the closure of the school said no fewer than 70 students were affected by the outbreak.

” The school was closed down on the directive of the Governor due to intense pressure from various quarters . It will not resume until the situation is completely arrested .”

According to her ” on getting the information , we quickly responded by mobilising health personnel( Doctors and Nurses) to rescue the students and arrest the situation from spreading.”

The Commissioner explained that of the 30 earlier in isolation, 5 had since been discharged with another five just discharged according to reports reaching us.

” We are left with only 20 in the isolation centre”, She confirmed.

Abubakar while responding to question on the water and sanitary conditions of the school said the school had been committed to ensuring the conditions were safe and managed properly.

” Even before he incident, all the water system facilities and environment had been well kept and thank God, the state water board have been doing the right thing to help the school.

” We ensured that the entire school was fumigated and made sure all toilet facilities were in order without any leakage”, She said.

Though, Abubakar who debunked allegations, the school was over populated due to additional students relocated from schools at border communities vulnerable to bandits attack said ” it was an outbreak which is a natural phenomenon and irrespective of population “, She pointed out.

The Commissioner however, expressed concern over the sad incident that claimed the lives of the two students while commiserating with the families of the deceased and prayed Allah to give them the fortitude to bear the loss and repose the souls of the departed students.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*