…Whistleblower Petitions ICPC, Fingers Exec Sec. Hamidu Sharubutu
A whistleblower has petitioned the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, ICPC, against the Acting Executive Secretary of the Agriculture Research Council of Nigeria, ARCN, Garba Hamidu Sharubutu, over alleged contract scam to the tune of N500 million.
The petition, is contained in a letter by Dolce Marina Solicitors, lawyers to the petitioner, signed by Barrister Ody Ajike, Esq, dated 25 February 2020 and addressed to the Chairman of the Commission, also included Mohammed Ladan Isa, C.A.H Consultancy limited and DVC Multi Ventures Limited.
He paid to verify at the Corporate Affairs Commission, CAC,that C.A.H. Consultancy Limited “was registered on December 29 2015 (with RC 1307179), at the Corporate Affairs Commission, Abuja with three subscribers and directors namely: Prof. Hamidu Garba Sharubutu with telephone number 08036444451, 40% equity; Olawuyi Sunday A with telephone number 08053741624, 30% equity; and Alhaji Mohammed Ladan Isa with telephone number 08037002023, 30% equity.”
The petitioner alleged that the Executive Secretary violated procurement laws by awarding contracts to companies he allegedly owns or has economic interest.
According to him, the petition is predicated “in good faith…and framed on the touch stone of complying with the objective principles of State policy as enshrined in the 1999 constitution (as amended) and overall policy of government.”
The allegations by the whistleblower include but not limited to the following:
1. Sharubutu allegedly awarded contract for Capacity Devopment for Community Based Meat and Butcher Inspectors at Yamaltu Deba, Gombe state at the sum of N25 million, in December 2017
2. Allegedly awarded contract for the provision of grants for fish farming in Langa Langa, Nasarawa State at the cost of N2.5 million in October 2018
3. He further allege that a contract to provide grants for film production to youths in Khana/Gokana federal constituency at N49,923,077 as well as similar contract in Okirika and Ogu-Bola local government area of Rivers in the same sum of N49, 923,077 all in November 2018
4. That he allegedly awarded contract of N24,108,457.60 for rehabilitation of the College library and laboratories in January 2019 before he left the college as Provost.
5. On January 11, 2019, Sharubutu was also alleged to have awarded contract for the purchase of fertilizers to the tune of N15 million for farmers in Lere federal constituency.
6. He also alleged that after he assumed office as Acting Executive Secretary at ARCN, he awarded two contracts worth N49.5 million each on December 2019
7. Sharubutu was also alleged to have awarded a contract to train women and youths at Ahoada, Rivers at the cost of N49.5 million and another contract for grants to women for livestock farming at same place for N49.5 million.
According to the petition, these contracts were awarded to self because he has stake in the companies.
The whistleblower called on the ICPC to conduct thorough investigation, especially of all the allegations made against Sharubutu within the periods stated in the petition. He also appealed to President Muhammed Buhari to prevail on the minister for agriculture, to suspend Sharubutu so that he would not tamper with the investigations