The Management of Kaduna Electricity Distribution Company have denied media reports that 11 persons lost their lives in last Wednesday’s power surge in the Gwargwaje area of Zaria, in Kaduna State insist that only six people were killed in the incident.
A high-tension line had snapped on a low-tension line which resulted in an overload voltage supply in the Gwargwaje area of Zaria which sparked an inferno that engulfed some houses claiming lives and leaving others injured.
The Ward Head of Unguwan Malam Shuaibu one of the affected areas in Gwargwaje Bature Aliyu had said that the casualty figure had risen from the initial 11 earlier reported to between 15 and 20, a figure the management of Kaduna electric disputes.
Head of Corporate Communication of Kaduna Electric Abdulazeez Abdullahi said the company’s investigations so far revealed that six persons lost their lives adding that the company’s officials had visited Gwargwaje community and met with families of the affected persons on three occasions to mourn with them and gather relevant information on the incident.
While expressing its condolences to the families of the deceased, the management of Kaduna electric stated that it had taken measures to avert a reoccurrence and had also gathered detailed information on all those who sustained injuries or lost properties. It said the company has been liaising with relevant security authorities and the traditional institution in Zaria to discuss the next step. DAILY TRUST